Sunday 12 July 2009

Day Seven: In Which a Carefully-placed Handkerchief Serves as Clothing


My dearest Jane —

Today I saw an attractive young lady on Reading Station who was naked from the waist up, save for a strategically positioned handkerchief and an elegant design on her back. (To be fair, 'twas a rather large handkerchief, but that is indeed all it was).

The two gentlemen walking ahead of me and just behind her were most delighted at the vision thus placed before them. I believe one of them was having difficulty breathing, he wheezed at every step, and all the more so when she turned and smiled at him!

The design on her back, by-the-bye, was permanently marked on her skin in the manner of Savages from far-flung Islands. Such markings or "tattoos" (for so they are called) is all the rage amongst the populace ... young and old alike have inky inscriptions in various colours and degrees of tastefulness marked on their wrists, to serve as permanent bracelets or as marks of affection to their loved ones on their arms. The young lady's pictures were surprizingly nice, but many such seem little more than ugly scratchings.

Even more alarming is the peculiar habit of Piercing their skin - noses, ears, cheeks, even tongues. It looks most uncomfortable. I have seen the most horrific disfigurement done in the name of fashion. I cannot yet bring myself to draw these sights, it is still all too disturbing.

I did think the preposterous sights would soon diminish, dearest Jane. Perhaps in time, they will.

with much love from your troubled sister,

1 comment:

  1. You have a nice blog.
    please visit my tattoo blog tattoo design
    and tattoo flash design


    thx.

    ReplyDelete