Saturday 12 September 2009

Day Ten: Wherein fancy-dress costumes are everyday wear

My dearest Jane —

I have been busy of late and find little time to write, forgive me. Believe me in that you are always in my mind - the most astonishing costumes are paraded before me almost daily and we would be beside ourselves were you here with me.



F'r instance, take these two young women ... both took extraordinary care with the coordination and colour matching in their outfits. Yet, one wonders, why? The Harlequin on the right was absolutely black-and-white from top to toes - black boots, black and white woolly leggings (in the heat of summer!); her blouse, in the "sporting" style was blocks of solid black and white. Even her hair was very-nearly white. All this might have worked on a dainty little person but on this great, stomping-about-sort of mannish woman the effect was rather overwhelming.

In contrast, the Neo-Roman in her eye-burningly bright-blue toga and black leggings was such a delicate creature that, despite the peculiarity of the costume, was actually quite attractive. One does wonder what she will think in 20 years on looking back ...

with love from your sister,

No comments:

Post a Comment